The Road trip 10/21/01

The Road trip
Copy Write Ray Hebert
10/21/01


We got a new vehicle a little over 2 months ago. Ray got us a new Ford Escape. It is a mini-SUV with enough room in the back when the seat is folded flat (which is how it stays) for both Shasta and I to stretch out and relax in comfort.

Well, when Ray came home and showed it to us, Shasta and I looked at each other and immediately said Road Trip. After years of being cooped up in a little 2 door Honda Accord we felt it was time to go on a trip in the style and luxury that we deserve. It did not take very long to get Ray to agree, and we were very happy when he said we would go to Montana.

Montana is our favoritist place in the whole world. And were we in for a great surprise when we showed up. But that is for later in the story.

Ray said it was Labor Day weekend so he could get off work without any problem. So on Friday we loaded up the SUV (it’s not a car, not a truck, not a camper, sort of the best of all these things) and hit the road at the nice early hour of 1am. Ray was planning on leaving at 4am, but he said he was not sleepy so might as well get rolling. It had been raining in Austin for much of the past couple of weeks, and it had let up for a little bit so we put the windows down for the drive out of town. Shasta and I loved it.

Ray drove for about 5 or 6 hours (you loose track of time when you having so much fun) before we stopped outside of Lubbock (that’s in North Texas for you foreigners, Ray says it was home to Buddy Holly who ever that was) to take a break. To our surprise he crawled into the back with us and took a nap. There was enough room for him to stretch out if he lay diagonally in the back. Shasta and I thought that was great. We each took a remaining corner and napped with him. We like sleeping with Ray.

When we woke up after a couple of hours the Sun was just coming up. Very beautiful, now we got to drive and see where we were going. We drove and drove and drove and drove and then stopped at a nice park with a river. I got all excited because I thought we were going to go swimming. Ray asked us not to, so we ran up and down the bank and put a foot in just to test the water temperature. Just when we were getting ready to go there was a scream from the bank. Ray ran over to investigate. The wind had blown a hat off the head of one of the ladies from the tour bus that had stopped with us. She was in some distress as the hat was floating away and it had been a gift of her Grand daughter. Ray asked me to come over and sit next to him. He pointed at the hat until he was sure I had seen it, then said OUT. That is my cue to go. So I went running to the water and jumped in (I don’t jump like I used to, but on this occasion I made a big splash). I swam out and picked up the hat, it was a straw hat and it tickled my mouth. I made sure not to bite down on it. I swam back and gave it to Ray. The lady was so excited. I got hugs even though I was all wet. Shasta was very excited too, as she wanted to go swimming. So Ray went back and got our swimming toys and we stayed another half-hour and swam.

When we were done, Ray got us back in the SUV and off we went. Shasta and I were tired so we slept. Next thing we knew we were pulling into Cheyenne, Wyoming. I know Cheyenne as we stopped there when Ray and I moved from Boise to Sioux City in South Dakota. We stopped at the McDonalds where there is a huge grass field for Shasta and I to go and run in. Ray went and got us some water and we all sat down and had dinner. Shasta and I were to excited to eat. There were so many great smells and new sites to see that we only had a couple of bites of food.

Ray then drove and drove and drove again, then stopped and napped for a couple of hours and then got up and drove and drove some more. We started going up this long pass and when we got to the top I knew where we were. Bozeman, my favoritists place in the whole world. I saw the big M on the right side. Ray said that Greg had been working on it the last couple of weeks. It looked very nice. We decided to drive right through town and go straight to the ranch.

We got there just past 8am on Saturday. We all had our heads out he window (even Ray) to see what new things Greg had added. He always is doing something new. Shasta and I both saw the most beautiful site in the whole world. A Pond!!!! We were so excited we could not contain ourselves. Shasta was jumping all over the place and I was just mesmerized. When Ray opened the door for us we bolted out and ran straight over for a dip.

Shasta here. Shaq is handing over the letter to me for a while. His paws were getting sore from typing.

Let’s see we had just arrived at the ranch and were about to go swimming. Greg had built a big pond with a nice pier. I ran straight to the pier and jumped as far as I could and did a big belly flop. Shaq followed me in and Ray was not far behind with our water toys. Geronimo came out to greet us and we all had a fine time swimming.

While we were enjoying the pond Ray was visiting with the people. There were a bunch of people at Greg’s, including Marnie’s (Greg’s female friend) parents, as well as Marnies kids Simo and Tate and Greg’s son Jeremiah. So there was a full house of people to play with us.

We had a relaxing day of swimming and playing with all the kids. Choco and Missy showed up with their friends Terry and Frieda. I like playing with them, as they love to swim as much as Shaq and I do. Ray spent the day visiting and recovering from the long drive.

Sunday was a real treat we went rafting on the Yellowstone River. We had a great time and got to sit in the raft and enjoy the ride. There were a few easy rapids that made the bottom of the raft go up and down. I liked that a lot. After a while I relaxed and took a nap, Shaq was an old pro and just hung out watching the scenery go by.

After the raft trip we had a big party at the ranch. Lots of people came over and played with Shaq and I. With 6 Labs in attendance there ware plenty of play mates available. I even got to eat a whole hot dog all by myself (thanks James). It was yummy.

The next few days went by in a blur. Shaq & I took Ray hiking up at Hyalite a couple of days, then we had a relaxing couple of days swimming in the pond. Every now and then Ray would leave and Shaq & I would stay at the ranch. I would go all over the house looking for him to make sure that he was not playing hide and seek. When it was obvious that he was gone Shaq & I would take a break and relax and rest up for when he got back.

After a week of hanging out we packed the car and headed home. Ray drove again (Shaq offered to help, but he said he could handle it). We stopped at parks and other places on the way home.

Shaq & I really like going on road trips. We are starting to get Ray buttered up for another one this winter.

Well that was our vacation. We all had fun. Didn’t get to see everyone we wanted to (sorry Duke & Polly) but will definitely be going back again so will catch everyone then.

Cheers,
Shaq & Shasta & Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment