Turkey Days with Shaq & Shasta 12/5/00

Turkey Days with Shaq & Shasta
12/5/00
Copyright © 2001 Ray Hebert


Hi everyone, this is Shaq. It has been a long time since I have written. A lot has happened in the past four months and I have been very busy.

Last week was the first Turkey day for Shasta and I in our new home, oh and for Ray as well. Shasta and I have sort of forgiven him for leaving us in South Dakota for 32 days. But that is another story.

Shasta and I decided to take Ray out for four days of fun in the water during the Turkey Day vacation.

We started on Thursday by taking him to Auditorium Shores, by the Stevie Ray Vaughan statue. This is a place where I used to play years ago, and wanted to show it to Shasta. Ray came along so he could get some exercise he really enjoys throwing the ball for us. We started off with a few laps around the park, then headed over to the water for a dip. Ray kept throwing the ball in the water. We would bring it back to him and then he would throw it again. Lots of fun. He would alternate between throwing it for Shasta then for me. Every now and then he would throw it for Shasta and let her get a head start then he would send me out to try and get it. Whenever Shasta hears my splash she starts swimming faster. Sometimes I just make a splash so that she starts swimming faster, but I don't go in the water myself.

On Friday we took Ray over to St. Edwards Park which is near where we live. Shasta and I really like running and playing here. There are very good hiking trails and a dam that backs up Spicewood Springs so we can go swimming. It is a lot of fun. The trails run right next to the spring so we can alternate between charging through the water and running on the trail. Shasta really likes splashing through the water, I really like swimming in the water. Ray really likes the fact that he can walk on the trail and watch us play in the water. This place is only 10 minutes from the house. This is nice because every now and then when Ray comes back after disappearing for 8 hours he takes us here prior to dinner time.

The only down side of St. Edwards is that there are a lot of Cactus. While Shasta and I can usually miss them, every now and then we will get a sticker in our legs. Ray is very good about taking them out.

On Saturday we took Ray to Sand Point on Lake Travis. This is a bit of a drive, but well worth it. A couple of months ago Lake Travis was very low and we were able to run really far out into the lake area. Now the Lake is at normal levels and we could only play on the shoreline. Regardless Ray had fun. Shasta showed us how fast she can run. When she is in full flight she tucks her tail and her ears look like they are swept back along her neck. It looks really fast. Ray showed off by showing how far he could throw the ball. Sometimes he can get it really far out there. Shasta and I had races to see who could get to the ball first. I let her win a few times. When I get the ball she will get all excited when I bring it back. She will start jumping and getting all excited so that Ray will throw it for her. I keep telling her that she doesn't need to go through all the theatrics that he will throw it regardless, but she likes to get excited. Sometimes you just can't reason with her.

On Sunday we let Ray sleep in a bit. Then we went out to Dunkin Doughnuts for our Sunday muffins and to the store for the Sunday newspaper. This is something we do every Sunday. On an average Sunday there would be an Auto Race on TV. Ray likes Auto Racing, Shasta and I like sticking our heads out of cars that are going fast. So while Ray watches the race, Shasta and I dream about how neat it would be to be sticking our heads out of the window. But this was not an average Sunday, and the race season was over with. So Shasta and I got Ray off his lazy butt and dragged him kicking and screaming out to Auditorium Shores for a lunch time romp in the fields followed by a nice cool dip in the water.

Well that is what we did for the Turkey Day weekend. Yes, I know that was a couple of weeks ago, but you try typing without any thumbs.

We hope you all had a nice relaxing time.
Shaq & Shasta

No comments:

Post a Comment