Shasta joins our family 9/15/98

Shasta Joins our Family
9/15/98
Copyright © 2001 Ray Hebert


Saturday Morning

Howdy All,

It has been a bit since Shaq and I have updated all on the goings on in the heartland of the America. And wow do we have some news.

Last night we picked up a new member of the Hebert family. Her name is Shasta, she is a 4 year old Chocolate Lab. She has been fixed so no worries about puppies and such. She is about 3/4 the size of Shaq. So not as big a Lab as Shaq, but not a small Lab either.

Right now I am looking out the window and they are playing tag and chase. They are having such a good time. Tails a wagging and all.

OK back to the story. On Monday DeeDee Burns who works on the same floor as I do at Gateway came over and asked if I would be interested in adopting her Chocolate Lab. She and her husband Darrin are transferring to Gateways San Diego facility. Darrin also works for Gateway in the Portables group. Shaq and I went over to their place and spent about an hour getting to know Shasta. She and Shaq got along well.

I had been thinking about getting a new addition to our family for the last six months, but had been putting it off because of all the uncertainty as to where we were going to be working for Gateway. South Dakota or Irvine? Still no definitive word yet. But this was the right thing to do so we did it.

Play time update. Seems that they are a bit tuckered out right now. Shaq is laying out on the patio and Shasta is stretched out on the lawn.

Where was I? DeeDee and Darrin seemed pleased with Shaq's manner. I really like Shasta's spirit. We all concluded it would be a great fit. So we coordinated a Friday evening pick up.

Darrin helped bring Shasta's kennels and toys over to the house. Upon parting tears were had by all involved. Shasta was truly loved at the Burns house. I think it was hardest on Darrin and I.

Shasta has been primarily an outdoor dog. And as most of you know Shaq is an indoor - outdoor dog. So when we were alone Shaq and I stayed with Shasta outside for a couple of hours while she relaxed and
unwound. Then we introduced her to the house. She did very well. Being in a new environment she stayed very close to me.

I don't think she has had much experience with stairs. When I went to introduce her to the basement I had to help her down the steps. The next time she needed a little coaxing, but went by herself. The third time she had it mastered, still a little tentative compared to the bounding style that Shaq has.

More playtime update. Shaq has decided that he is rested up now and wants to play some more. Shasta is still laying out. Shaq is now pushing her with his nose. She has now gotten up and is running full speed around the yard. Shaq is right on her heals. Shaq is down and sliding across the yard. He was chasing Shasta and she made a sharp turn that Shaq could not make. Shaq is now walking around with that "I
meant to do that" look. Shasta is off in the distance mocking him.

When bed time came about Shaq climbed up on the bed and took his customary position at the foot of the bed. Shasta jumped up and snuggled right next to me. She did not sleep much as she was so excited about her new surroundings. Around 3am she let me know that she needed to go out for a pit stop. So we got up she and Shaq went out did their business, came back in and we went back to sleep. Took her about a half
hour to calm down again.

This morning we woke up and went out for some playtime and they have been going at it ever since.

I am going to try to keep her name as Shasta, but if they can't separate there names we may have to change it. The key is that they both start with the SH sound, which may confuse them. This is a big undertaking
and requires a lot of patience, so it is not something we will do right away, but take a couple weeks to see how everything works out. Should we need to change her name I think we will go to Chomo Luma. This is
Tibetan name for Mt. Everest and means Goddess Mother of the Earth.

Well that is the news from South Dakota. Shaq and I are very excited about our new found friend. Each of you can now expect to get Shaq and Shasta updates from time to time. Shaq has asked me if this will spur
me to get off my butt and update the Web site. I told him I would see what I can do. We will be getting a new computer in September and will most likely do it then.

Take care. Shaq, Shasta and I wish each of you all the happiness in the world.

Cheers
Ray & Shaq & Shasta

No comments:

Post a Comment