Two Dog Night, But I only had One Dog 12/10/95

Two Dog Night, But I only had One Dog

12/10/95
Copyright © 2001 Ray Hebert



Last night was coooooooooooollllllllllld. It got down to about 10. Now I don’t care where you are, Montana, Ohio, Georgia or Texas. 10 is cold. Since I don’t have anyone to share bodily warmth with I had to make do with what was at hand.

I was laying in bed and sleeping peacefully when I woke up to the realization that I was cold. For me happiness is in the feet. As long as they are warm I am fine. My feet were not happy in the least bit. And they let me know it in no uncertain terms. I got up and rubbed them, no luck. I put on socks, no luck. I then looked around and saw Shaq and got an idea.

I lifted up the covers and said Kennel. This is his command to get in what ever I am directing him to do. It could be the car, his travel kennel or in this case under the covers. He reluctantly went in. I go him all the way down to the end where he curled up. I slipped my feet under him. That did the trick with in a couple of minutes they were warm and happy.

Shaq could not stay down there for the whole night so I let him come up and lay next to me with his head sticking out. Now I am a tosser at night. I can’t sleep in one position for more then half an hour before I have to turn over. Sort of like a good steak, you don’t want it to linger on one side to long. Now I learned something about Shaq. He is tosser also. He cuddled up next to me laying on his side with his back to me. Then he would roll over on his back, then roll over on his other side and push against me with his feet.

With two tossers under the covers it became a battle over real-estate. Who was going to control the bed. That was the issue. Now Geronimo is a dog who weights 85 pounds but in bed is light as a feather and can be manipulated as such. Farty is another dog. She weights about 60 and is a ton in the bed. A fork lift could not get her to move from the spot she occupies. I learned that Shaq is like this. He now weights 65 and can distribute that weight in such a way that it is the equivalent of a ton. I had to get up and move him to his side of the bed. But by the time we woke up in the morning he had 90% of the bed and was planning on getting the rest of it.

This may sound like a bad situation, but the fact that he puts out some serious BTU’s (heat) under the covers made it worth it. I was toasty warm. He was happy to be sleeping with me. So we both got something out of it. I just now need to teach him proper sleeping etiquette along with his sit, stay and come.

Cheers to all
Stay Warm Ray & Shaq

No comments:

Post a Comment